Why do I ask you, dear readers, to bravely collaborate this holiday season? And every day, for that matter.
After all, collaboration always gets filed under “nice to have soft skills.” The attitudes and behaviors we remember to use when convenient, yet not always. And certainly, collaboration never quite feels second nature, does it?
Because collaborating, in the true sense, is not an easy skill set, at all.
- First, collaboration involves rolling up our sleeves and making hard calls. On behalf of our customers.
- Next, collaboration includes being open to changing our own perspectives about issues and outcomes, while seeking more remarkable solutions. For others.
- Then, collaboration combines our perspective of what is happening with everyone else’s. This part of collaboration is the hard part, isn’t it? Often, it is more like a wrestling match and a battle of wills. When working with “those” colleagues who intimidate us with the big words they use. Or, other colleagues who are more chatty than they are substantial. And let’s not forget the colleagues who are more or less as well-educated as we are. Each one of us has a critical puzzle piece to contribute to our solutions.
- Finally, truly collaborating is like standing on the Interstate, during rush hour, in a snow storm. Stark naked. We tend to find out a lot about who we are, as professionals of worth. And who our colleagues and customers are, as well.
This holiday season, and as we move forward to each finish line, together during 2019, bravely collaborate every day.
Ask yourself, each morning, whether you are open to moving one millimeter forward, beyond what is holding you back from becoming extraordinary. That one millimeter you decide to traverse is the smallest – yet infinitesimally largest – emotional and logical distance you will traverse. After that, you approach every decision with greater professional bravery, which balances logic, reason and innovation.
Then, be open to when those one millimeter moments find you. Because, when we least expect these critical moments, involving courage and critical thinking skills, the door is opened. Will you choose to walk through, with me, in 2019? I invite you to do so.
Wishing you a Happy Holiday Season, no matter what holidays you observe. And a joyous, peaceful and purposeful 2019.
Bravely and profitably collaborate with me during 2019!
- Hire me to speak or conduct a workshop at your next corporate or association event. Catalyze your mindset and skill sets!
- Book a 40-minute strategic appointment with me. Learn how to better serve your customers.
- Subscribe to my blog. Share your email address in the red box in the right column. Never miss another insightful post.
Babette Ten Haken, and her One Millimeter Mindset™ speaking and storytelling programs, catalyze organizations and associations, like yours, who want to leverage a more profitable workforce to retain the customers you work so hard to win. Babette is a member of SME, ASQ, SHRM and the National Speakers Association. Babette’s Playbook of collaboration hacks, Do YOU Mean Business? is available on Amazon.com. Her professional speaker profile appears on the espeakers platform.
Image source: Fotolia