Consider that how we show up virtually impacts client experiences: today, tomorrow and moving forward.
Think about it. These days, with no other option but to meet up virtually, both the concept and context of the word “meeting” are in transition. Because showing up virtually translates into more than just attending a traditional, agenda-driven meeting. And adding a comment, now and then. Just like we “used to do it.” Except now we are using a virtual interface.
Why not leverage virtual platforms to create entirely new meeting experiences, instead of reproducing the same-old one?
How and when we show up virtually impacts the New Normal of our future of our client relationships.
First, start your virtual meetings by checking in with attendees. Ask not only how they are feeling, but what they are feeling. Yup. Make it ok to emotionally interact before we get down to business.
Next, take everyone’s pulse about the virtual meeting quality vs virtual quantity conundrum. Because, since everyone now works virtually, colleagues and clients “expect” everyone to be available 24/7. Determine whether attendees are over-scheduled with meetings each day.
Then, show respect for the folks on the other side of the virtual device screens. Like you, their professional time is overscheduled to give the appearance of business normalcy. How feasible is sustaining the pace of virtual over-scheduling? What is the long-term impact on level of engagement and innovation?
Also, acknowledge that people are exhausted, even if they do not admit it. Not only are they tired from running the virtual meeting schedule marathon. Also, as a society, we are in a state of collective stress, anxiety and overwhelm about lots of factors we have absolutely no control over.
Devote remaining time together to discussion of the previously-determined, highest priority, mission-critical item. Just. That. Single. Item. Why? Because attendees are acknowledged, more relaxed, and less overwhelmed by an over-packed meeting agenda.
Finally, celebrate that everyone is able to show up virtually and be fully present for each other and with each other. So everyone gets to where they need to go. Together. One millimeter at a time.
- Does this virtual meeting description sound like a traditional meeting concept?
- Are the virtual experiences created anything similar to same-old?
- Will attendees appreciate the value and outcomes of their collective and collaborative time, together?
- How receptive will they be to engaging, collaborating and innovating together at the next meeting? Based on their experiences, together, at this meeting.
Something to think about, moving forward. Together. Need a two-hour coaching call to renovate your meeting strategy and virtual presence? Then click this link and let’s collaborate.
- Planning your next team, corporate or association meeting? Engage me to virtually present one of my interactive One Millimeter Mindset™ workshops or mastermind groups. Contact me here.
- I leverage design-driven Voice of the Customer storytelling to translate across communication disconnects between people and professional disciplines. Together, we optimize strategic business and human capital value in individuals, workforces and organizations.
- My playbook of communication tools and methods, Do YOU Mean Business? is available on Amazon.com.
- Image source: Adobe Stock