You know you are still aiming at yesterday’s target (but it is today) when:
- You identify at least three other available targets in the same vicinity which grab your attention, as well. So….
- Instead of taking daily aim at yesterday’s target – KPIs, someone’s idea of to-do lists (and priorities) for you – you decide to take aim at a detour.
- As a result, you take the risk of exploring opportunities just around the corner of the previous day’s target.
Consequently, you stop continuously aiming at yesterday’s target.
- Your One Millimeter Mindset® decision to explore what is new and next begins to excite you, because you learn new stuff along the way.
- At the same time, your same decision makes you feel guilty that you are hiding something new and next from your colleagues.
- Yet you are reluctant to share your discoveries with them because you are overly concerned about what they will think about you. They may even dismiss your excitement as unimportant or irrelevant.
- Consider that while your discoveries may be unimportant to them, your discoveries are mission-critical targets, essential to catalyze you. You start aiming at targets which will take you where you really need to go: today, tomorrow and moving forward.
The opportunities residing just around the corner of yesterday’s target launch you into new professional and experiential spaces. Are you ready?
A new set of people reside in those “today” spaces who make it difficult to settle back into what is professionally comfortable. Thus, you make another decision to begin to grow comfortable with people, ideas, actions, and environments which are continuously changing.
Tomorrow’s workspaces call for individuals, teams, and organizational cultures who embrace continuous change. Consequently, the fittest individuals to survive and thrive in these environments are those who identify and aim at continuously shifting, changing targets each day. These individuals are the fulcrum of today’s and tomorrow’s human capital value. These individuals, teams, groups, and cultures embody their strategically aligned, purpose-driven value each day.
Is it time to seek out a catalyst to launch your focus towards new professional targets? Then contact me to schedule a gratis, 15-minute conversation about what is next for you.
I catalyze cross-functional, collaborative, profitable, and sustainable solutions across value silos. | Professional Innovation | Cross Functional Leadership | Complex Problem Solving | Speaker, Consultant, Coach |
- Need to stop spinning your wheels professionally? Searching for a speaker focused on doing the smallest things with the biggest impact to get you towards what is new and next? Then engage me to present a One Millimeter Mindset ™ program! Delivered virtually or in-person.
Babette Ten Haken’s One Millimeter Mindset™ programs catalyze people who solve problems differently to collaborate more successfully. Become more professionally visible, cross-functionally relevant, and strategically valuable as you create and implement innovative and robust business outcomes together. Babette is a business-oriented STEM professional, qualitative Voice of the Customer facilitator, PMI-certified Wicked Problem Solver, Duke Corporate Education licensed Strategic Agility practitioner, and Six Sigma Green Belt (Quality). She is a member of SHRM, PMI, the National Speakers Association (NSA). Her playbook of cross-functional collaboration, Do YOU Mean Business? is available in soft cover and digital formats on Amazon.com. Contact Babette here. Image source: Adobe Stock.